Changing Jobs in Korea

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Josef Essberger

KoreaTeacher

Changing Jobs in Korea

Unread post by KoreaTeacher »

I am in Korea, but I am not satisfied with my job. I would like to change to another job - however, I am concerned that the law does not allow for someone to change their job on the same visa.

Does anyone know what would happen if I just left my job and went freelance/ found another job - what would be the likely repercussions?
Would I have to leave the country?
amm65

Unread post by amm65 »

If you terminate employment, your E-2 visa, issued for work with one employer, is null and void. To work at another institution, you generally must get a Letter of Release from the current employer. Then, getting an E-2 for a new employer requires all new paperwork (signed contract, diploma, transcripts, photos, CV, etc.) and leaving the country to obtain the E-2 from an Korean embassy abroad.
chris

Unread post by chris »

Can you advise what I need to do to get a letter of release from my current academy.
sherry

you may not need to leave the country

Unread post by sherry »

If you are unhappy with your job, look for another job, explain why y ou are seeking new employment. It is my understanding that your new employer can ask your current employer to transfer the contract. If it is a private school, they might just do this for a fee.

Just ask the new potential employer. A potenital employer will most likely assume the cost of you transfering the contract visa or pay for most of your transportation costs if you do have to leave the country.