2016 China Foreign English Teacher Requirements Updated ESL + TEFL

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Josef Essberger

Norman
Rising Star

2016 China Foreign English Teacher Requirements Updated ESL + TEFL

Unread post by Norman »

I just came back from a joint SAFEA/CFTU cross-cultural workshop and got the "new" 2016 mandatory requirements for foreigners wanting to teach in China. Guess what? They are still the same as last year - so far! Let's hope no new surprise requirements come our way in the new year. Here they are:

* 21-55 years of age
* Verifiable bachelor degree in any major
* Hold a Z Visa (work visa) in your passport before your first day on the job
* Speak and write fluent English
* Have a police certificate proving no criminal record (For Beijing & Shanghai jobs only - so far)

TEFL or TESOL certificates are not required by law but about 20% of employers want them. If you want a Foreign Experts Certificate (FEC) you will be required to pass a medical exam.

Despite the above general requirements, top-rated employers demand and will pay extra money to hire NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKERS. If you meet the above requirements and do not know how to find an honest employer in China, avoid the agents and take a look at out white and blacklists of China schools and read up on your employee rights and how to avoid a bad contract explained in these articles http://eslwatch.info/articles/asia-articles.html Good luck and welcome to China! Almost forgot... HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR FRIENDS!
Noons816

Re: 2016 China Foreign English Teacher Requirements Updated ESL + TEFL

Unread post by Noons816 »

Trying to keep up with China's work visa laws is so difficult. Can someone tell me if I have a 120 Hour TEFL Cert do I still need 2 years post graduate work experience to qualify? I'm a recent graduate.