Considering TEFL Certification: Insights, Experiences, and Recommendations?

Discussion about teaching ESL to children

Moderator: Joe

alexihs

Considering TEFL Certification: Insights, Experiences, and Recommendations?

Unread post by alexihs »

Greetings everyone,

I hope this post finds you all well. I am currently exploring the possibility of acquiring a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification and am hoping to gather some advice from those of you who have already undertaken this journey.

My motivation for considering this certification comes from a desire to broaden my teaching scope and an innate love for travel. The prospect of merging these two interests through teaching English abroad seems like an exciting, fulfilling path. Yet, as we all know, even the most promising opportunities can come with their fair share of challenges and unexpected turns.

One of the major points I'd love to get your insights on is the selection of a TEFL course. There are so many options available, both online and in-person, with substantial variance in cost, duration, and curriculum. What factors should I consider while choosing a course? Should I prioritize a certain number of hours, look for ones offering practicum, or focus on the reputation of the organization?

Secondly, I am keen to understand more about the job market for TEFL teachers. I have heard about the opportunities in countries like South Korea, China, and Spain, but I wonder about the competitiveness of these roles. Are there certain regions that have a particularly high demand for TEFL teachers or others that may be saturated? Additionally, beyond TEFL certification and fluency in English, are there other skills or qualifications that significantly improve employability?

For those who have taught English abroad, how was your experience? What were some of the challenges you encountered, and how did you overcome them? Was it difficult to adapt to a new country, culture, and educational system? And importantly, did the experience enhance your teaching career when you returned home?

Finally, for educators who considered TEFL but decided against it, I would be grateful if you could share your reasons. Were there particular concerns that dissuaded you? Are there alternative routes for teachers wishing to travel and work internationally that you would recommend?

I am aware that each journey is unique, and what works for one may not work for another. However, your collective wisdom and experiences will undeniably provide me with a more rounded perspective as I consider this step in my career.

Thank you in advance for your advice and shared experiences. I appreciate your time and look forward to learning from each of you.

Best Regards,
Alex