I forgot a simple word, now what?

Discussion about teaching ESL to children

Moderator: Joe

Inji-753

I forgot a simple word, now what?

Unread post by Inji-753 »

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I've been teaching this kid - 10 year old girl one-on-one for a few months. Our native language is Azerbaijanian. Few weeks ago, she asked me what is the translation of the word "cins", which is "gender, sex" and I don't know why, but instantly I thought about the word "sex", so avoided answering. I came up with different excuses. In the end, she either thought "the teacher doesn't know the word" or "this is a very, very bad word and she doesn't want to say it. let me find out what it is". I know, in both cases, I messed up. And why the hell didn't I say "gender", I just don't know. Really.

My question is, how can I clear this up? Should I say, "Oh, you know, last time I forgot - it's "gender"! OR should I just ignore this and let this become a thing of the past? Please give me some advice. Thank you.
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: I forgot a simple word, now what?

Unread post by Susan »

Don't beat yourself up about it; just do as you suggest and tell her the translation. She's maybe even forgotten she asked the question.
Inji-753

Unread post by Inji-753 »

Oh, she never (ever!) forgets :) Yes, I think it's the best way to act cool about it and just say it.
Eric Rom

Unread post by Eric Rom »

Hey.
As a teacher, you must be pretty open about certain things that are related to the topic and answer the kids (if and only if) the question pertains to the topic. Else, there is nothing wrong in turning them down.
Even if the word meant sex, and it was relevant to the topic of discussion, you can say it out. That's how the students will feel more connected to you and open up their problems.