Help with assignment

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Joe

nikop

Help with assignment

Unread post by nikop »

So this is my second time answering this question. I have one more attempt.

Choose a song and think about how you could use it in a lesson with a group of learners. Include the relevant lyrics and explain what language point(s) or skill(s), in addition to listening, your students can practise with the help of the song. What level of learner would you use the song for? Remember that it is a listening lesson, so they need to listen to the song at some point rather than simply read the lyrics. (Write about 150 words apart from the song lyrics)
This was my answer which i thought was good i am not sure how else to answer this. Maybe I need to be more simple somehow? Any help would be amazing.

All My Love: The Beatles
For: Elementary Learners.
I WILL teach the future tense. I will show that in English to form the future tense, you need to use the auxiliary verb "will" + main verb.
The first thing I would do is inform my students that contractions are common in English. In the English language a common contraction is formed using the pronoun I and the auxiliary verb "will" to form the word I'll.

Developing interest: I will bring in a Beatle album cover to elicit prior knowledge that the class might have of the Beatles.

Pre-teach Vocab: Pre-teach verbs that will be in the song.
I will draw out pictures representing the verbs.Examples.
Miss- plane taking off child is sad
Kiss - lips kissing
Send - mail going in a mailbox
Write - pen and paper
Pretend - children playing around as superheroes
Be - * state of being

I will have lyrics of the song printed for all students in the class and pass it out. Then I would play the song so students may follow along and see how the future tense is used in the song in conjunction with the contraction I'll.

After familiarizing them with the future tense, I will have them answer a worksheet in pairs. This worksheet will consist of main verbs that must be formulated into future verbs using the auxiliary verb "will" and the main verb. Examples will only use the pronoun I, and will have contractions. Examples.
I ____(swim) in a river tomorrow.
I _____ (talk) to you tomorrow.
I _____ (eat) pork chops for dinner tomorrow.

For homework I will assign students to come up with 10 examples of their own that they "will" + verb do in the future. Emphasizing only using I'll as it's a more personal and relevant to the student. In future lessons I will introduce you'll , she'll , he'll, it'll , they'll , we'll.

Teachers|Graders Comment: The goal is not to create a grammar lesson. It is to create a lesson plan based on the content of the song. What you need to do is review the lesson plan on gambling in the teaching reading and listening module and create a lesson plan based on that format.

Use that as your model. I can give you one more go on this.

Alex
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: Help with assignment

Unread post by Susan »

Hi,

you haven't asked a question in your post. what is it you are expecting forum users to help you with?

Susan
nikop

Unread post by nikop »

My question is what is a listening lesson, how is my answer not a listening lesson and what makes a listening lesson different from what I wrote
Susan
Top Contributor

Unread post by Susan »

Your lesson isn't a listening lesson because:

Your lesson focuses on vocab and the use of will; so it is a language lesson.

Also, you are giving the lyrics to the students. They will be reading the lyrics instead of listening.