Grammarly

English grammar and usage issues

Moderator: Joe

kdammers
Rising Star

Grammarly

Unread post by kdammers »

Automated grammar and lexical correcting software is a reality. Teachers need to have a reasoned approach to the use of such material, on home-work, during class, and on tests.

It is important to be aware of the limitations of said software. Around Christmas time, I often read or assign as a story to read O. Henry's classic tear-jerker, "The Gift of the Magi." For kicks, I entered it into Grammarly's black-box. Here's the (free) report I got from
https://www.grammarly.com:
We’ve found 101 writing issues in your text and have also detected significant plagiarism.
Grammar 12
Spelling 9
Punctuation 32
Conciseness 12
Readability [Check mark]
Correct word choice 12
Additional writing issues 24
Significant plagiarism found !
[But no comment on how the money doesn't add up unless Della had an old two-cent or three-cent coin.]
kdammers
Rising Star

Re: Grammarly

Unread post by kdammers »

My initial comment was not intended to dismiss Grammarly or its use. Rather, it was meant to be a humorous warning about Grammarly and other writing assistants, AI-related or not.

I occasionally talk to my students about Grammarly and suggest that they use . . . after they have learned correct grammar, and not as a substitute for properly learning a foreign language. For a grammar tool for other languages, consider the free program https://languagetool.org/spellchecking-german .
leon99
Rising Star

Re: Grammarly

Unread post by leon99 »

Your point about the limitations of automated grammar and lexical correction software is quite valid. While these tools can be incredibly useful for catching common errors and improving writing clarity, they are not infallible, and there are certain nuances in language that they might not fully grasp. Additionally, as you mentioned, they may not provide insights into the deeper meaning or context of a text.