Any feedback on Mayflower Education (Beijing) - Scam or Legit?

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

Saturn
Rising Star

Any feedback on Mayflower Education (Beijing) - Scam or Legit?

Unread post by Saturn »

What is the 411 on this school? They are located in Wudaokou but all the foreign teachers who work there say they are new and have nothing to say. I also could not find any license hanging on the wall to grab a photo and check with SAIC. They offered me 12,000 a month but no z visa for 90 days. The receptionist said she was "not allowed" to answer questions and only Miranda the HR girl could talk with me. It is supposed to be "a 5 year old international school". What do you guys know about this school?
Murphy
Rising Star

Re: Any feedback on Mayflower Education (Beijing) - Scam or Legit?

Unread post by Murphy »

I can't find squat about them on the internet, but based on the comments of the OP I copied the OP link and emailed it to China Scam Patrol. Let's see what they say. The no Z Visa for 90 days is a red flag IMO. If we can find a telephone number for them we can at least call and talk with a foreign teacher, but I cannot even find a telephone number in the Beijing telephone directory!
Volunteer
Rising Star

Unread post by Volunteer »

I knew a girl from America named Mina that used to work there. She said the management old management was good but about six months ago new management took over and she quit - they are so incompetent. She said pay is late and short with schedules changing every week. She said she only stayed there as long as she did because she bonded with her students. She admits its a black Chinese school and she was not working the day the PSB came an arrested some of the other foreign teachers including her friend from the UK who was deported. Here is the web site http://mayfloweredu.com/. I called today to speak with foreign teachers William and Brandy and was told both don't work there any longer. Mina also told me that there are noAmerican teachers working there yet all the parents are told the teachers all come from America! I asked Mina if she would recommend that school to her friends, and she said "Not even even they paid 30,000 a month with weekends off." So that's what I can contribute about this low-profile operation.
Grizzly
Rising Star

Unread post by Grizzly »

If this is the same Mayflower located on Zhnongguancun East, I know it is good place for gays and lesbians to work without being harrassed. That is the word going around at Lush and the owner is supposedly a lesbian. I visited the place last year but the classrooms were so small I could never work there. I am a big rugby player and I barely had room to walk down their hallway. They have their own art school and I recall that I did not see any foreigner teaching there the day I went to meet a nice lady named Annie who spoke perfect English. I won't judge a book by it's cover, but such tiny classrooms don't work for me.
Murphy
Rising Star

Unread post by Murphy »

According to China Scam Patrol this place is "trouble waiting to happen for any foreign teacher dumb enough to work there without a Z visa in their passport." Yes, some of the teachers are LGBT but that is not a real problem. The real problem is the Hepatitis out break they had. How did they solve the problem,or did they? There is no way of knowing how many kids were infected by teachers and vice-versa since all strains of Hep A,B,C,D, & E are super contagious and easily spread.

I found a Chinese guy named Henry who used to work there who was fired because he protested that employees were having tax deducted from their pay but it was not being paid to the government. He also said there are European teachers being passed off as native speaking Americans. Anyway, If I was gay, I might be forced to work there in Beijing,otherwise it is not worth the risk to me.
Norman
Rising Star

Unread post by Norman »

I found this at another ESL web site and I think it is a good idea that if you know anyone who teaches or studies at Mayflower to send them this info so they can get tested and vaccinated as soon as possible.

https://www.scam.com/showthread.php?714 ... n-Teachers

CAUTION: But if go to a Chinese hospital to get tested or use your health insurance card from China to pay for the testing you could find yourself detained for 90 days in a quarantine center. Because if you do test positive for Hepatitis, a STD or any contagious disease the hospital by law must report you to the PSB and your visa will get revoked immediately and you will spend 90 days in a quarantine faciltiy before being deported back home. It is best to get a home test kit that you can buy on the internet.
Swirl

Unread post by Swirl »

Today in 2021 these sly ladies from Mongolia are using different names including Chance English, Changzi, Mai en, Mayflower, etc. but they are still located in the same place next to Zhongguancun No. 2 Primary School at the western entrance to Wudaokou, and they still do not have a real business license. Many new teachers are fooled by "Amanda" the owner whose real name is Bao Li. Teachers there do not stay very long when they see how little they really get paid or how they spend most of their time marketing for the school, or doing "voice over" work for Amanda instead of teaching. I interviewed there but was not allowed to speak with any of the foreign teachers which was a big red flag for me.