Moving to china with our 9month old baby

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

lulu15

Moving to china with our 9month old baby

Unread post by lulu15 »

My husband and I are contemplating the same move with our 9month baby, we are fairly flexible people and aren't all together new to travel with various members of our families spread out globally. We currently reside in South Africa and live a fairly comfortable life.

The big snag or worry is that we are not Caucasians, we are black. I have a few friends that have made the move and haven't heard of any real bad experiences from them, to the contrary they are loving it and rate there's a huge peace of mind in moving to china, but they are not a family, they went as individuals, and the general parent worries we deal with aren't really in their frame of reference.

I guess my question is twofold. First, as black South African's moving as a family, do we really have much hope in getting an assignment that side. we are both fully qualified individuals, myself a marketer by profession, with my postgraduate degree, but have mentored and taught for a few years while in varsity as a tutor and my husband a fully qualified primary school teacher. I have heard about prejudice and racism towards dark skinned teachers in the interview process but my friends didn't seem to encounter such problems, outside of what they call general black curiosity. From your experience and engagements, is this black skin not worthy of teaching English phenomenon still prevalent in china?

This leads to my second question. Hubby and I can manage a fair amount of racist ignorance, but we obviously do not want our baby bullied and ill-treated in any way, shape or form, do you think this is something we should be seriously concerned about. It concerns me now, but again I have no real understanding of it and what I get from the net is the same story around people just being extremely curious and Unknowing about the existence of blacks as a people all together, in which case you cannot really get mad at someone for staring of poking (although I would imagine it to get really frustrating)

This is not a comment intended for any racists or purists who believe equal opportunity for all races isnt an option in society. I would appreciate constructive honest feedback from people with real intention to help, whether it be with bad news or good. I have very little patience for people who choose to use these forums to hammer on about their beliefs around a separated world.

Thanks all, looking forward to some fruitful advise:-)
kizil

Re: Moving to china with our 9month old baby

Unread post by kizil »

I know your question is a month old, but I just noticed it - did you make a decision about this yet? Your concerns about racism are certainly valid. I have had African/Black American colleagues at most of my jobs in China, none ever mentioned any dangerous hostility, but all dealt with discrimination when applying for jobs, as well as rudeness (i.e. being called "Feizhouren" which means "African" - it is actually considered disrespectful to call an African an African in Chinese). Unfortunately, it may take some looking to find an employer who will look at your qualifications rather than your race.

You might check this out: http://www.tealeafnation.com/2013/07/ch ... -in-china/

My main concern with a nine-month-old baby moving to China would be the environment - terrible air pollution in many places, contaminated food, expensive or substandard medical care in many places. All could be detrimental to a small child's development, especially if the parents take some time to adapt and figure things out. I can't imagine your child would be bullied by people in general (the reaction of most Chinese will probably be comments about cuteness), but bullying on the basis of race by peers would be very likely (I'm just guessing) if you stay in China long enough for him/her to start school there. When I taught primary school kids in China, I routinely saw kids pick on anyone who was physically different in any way.

In short, I think you could make the transition, but there would be real challenges.
My Blog - All Things TEFL (information on finding jobs, lesson planning, teaching resources, and more)
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

I’d suggest that if you both have a fairly comfortable life in SA, it might be better to stay put. TEFL isn’t going to better what you already have. Yes, if you’re black you will encounter racism above that of curiosity and it will begin at the recruitment stage. You will probably already have discovered that recruiters in China favours Caucasian native English speakers and SA isn’t included as one of these countries.

I don’t think your child would encounter racism as the Chinese are generally very child friendly, but you surely will. With the world in economic turmoil, if you already have a comfortable life, I’d advise to stay put.
Volunteer
Rising Star

Unread post by Volunteer »

Racism is horrible in China, and I hate to see a young couple suffer. John gives very good advice and I hope you will think twice before subjecting your new baby to air horrible water and or pollution and the racial discrimination all of you will have to deal with. Just being realistic. I wish I could be more encouraging but honesty is best - yes?