Advice on how to get started

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

litibenys54

Advice on how to get started

Unread post by litibenys54 »

To start off, I'm 27, currently living within commute distance from Seattle, which I'm aware has TEFL certification courses in person. I have a BA in Anthropology and have done few teaching related courses. I'm interested in teaching English abroad, preferably within Asia(Taiwan, South Korea, or China would be my first choices).

I've done extensive research on trying to figure out what I should do. I've read blogs, watched videos, read whole guides, and I'm still a bit iffy on the exact route I should take. I've heard getting a TEFL cert would be ideal and would land me a job within months. On the other hand, I've heard that people just travel there and end up landing a job without a certification of any kind.

I've never visited any of the countries i'm interested in teaching in and do not speak any of their languages, although I learn fairly quickly after taking multiple language courses and linguistic classes for my degree.

I'm mainly just looking for a bit of advice. Take one of those expensive 4-6 week TEFL courses? Take some other course i'm not aware of for a different cert? Travel there and just "yolo" the whole thing?

I'd like to thank in advance if this gets any replies! I've been lost in the dark on this whole thing for months now.