TEFL courses

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

Km1990

TEFL courses

Unread post by Km1990 »

Hi.

I am looking to complete an online TEFL course and have been advised that 120 hours is the standard to complete.

Do you recommend any providers as many are very confusing in saying that they are accredited but to different organisations other that BAC and OFqual. Does this matter?

I am wanting to use my certificate to volunteer mainly as I am taking a sabbatical from work.

I currently have 5 years experience working as a Secondary school teacher and head of department in the UK so have plenty of classroom hours!

Thanks
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL courses

Unread post by Lucy »

Hi

I don't know much about online course providers and generally don't advise people to take one. If you want to make a career out of teaching, you should do the CELTA or Trinity Cert. Take a look at our teacher training forum where you'll find loads of advice.

All the best,

Lucy
MiaWilliams

Re: TEFL courses

Unread post by MiaWilliams »

You will be absolutely fine taking an online TEFL course. Employers will only want to see that you have taken a course and it can really be from any school: onsite or online. My advice though would be to try and find an online course that also offers a teaching practice component if you have never taught before. This will boost your classroom confidence and will elevate your certificate if the teaching hours are stipulated on it.
https://trustedteflreviews.com/
Which TEFL? Helping you choose your best online TEFL/TESOL certification course.