Knowledge of student language for online TEFL

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Dragon76

Knowledge of student language for online TEFL

Unread post by Dragon76 »

Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum. I wish to leave my job as a nurse and embark on a new career as an online TEFL teacher.
I am a native from England and educated to degree level. I don’t have a TEFL qualification as yet but that is my next step.
I can speak Portuguese to upper intermediate level and I am currently learning Arabic.
My question is, will knowledge of these languages increase my chances of securing teaching work online with speakers of these languages?
Many thanks
odyssey
Rising Star

Re: Knowledge of student language for online TEFL

Unread post by odyssey »

In theory if you do a good TEFL course you will be equipped to teach a class of 12 learners all speaking a different language, all of which you cannot possibly be expected to know.

In TEFL we tend to use English to teach English on the premise that you can't learn French by speaking Chinese.

On that basis, whether you speak Portuguese or Arabic is neither here nor there.

However, in fairness, with online lessons there can be some advantage to speaking the student's language, depending on the student's level etc. But the temptation to use that language more than very occasionally should be resisted at all costs. So again, speaking Portuguese or Arabic is probably not going to be of much advantage to you.

Your best bet is to get a rock solid TEFL certificate.
Dragon76

Thanks for the reply Odyssey!
WalterWaltt

Unread post by WalterWaltt »

Yep, knowledge of Portuguese and Arabic languages may increase your chances of securing teaching work online with speakers of these languages. As a fluent speaker of these languages, you will be able to communicate effectively with students and provide them with accurate and appropriate instruction. Additionally, having knowledge of multiple languages can be seen as a valuable skill by potential employers and may make you a more competitive candidate.
Dragon76

Thank you for taking the time to respond Walter
WalterWaltt

You're welcome!*
WalterWaltt

So have you got that wished job or not?
Dragon76

I’ve not started looking yet, I have to do the TEFL first and try and research the job market
WalterWaltt

Knowing Portuguese and Arabic, especially at a high level, can greatly improve your chances of teaching online. Native speakers appreciate it when a teacher can interact with them in their native language, which creates a more comfortable and productive learning environment. I know for sure that I would never become a teacher, especially in mathematics. I already ask do my math homework, I found https://edubirdie.com/do-my-math-homework for this. This is how much material you need to know. Also, what kind of nerves should a teacher have to tolerate his students? Horror!