Heterogeneous sets in matching question

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Mikedean

Heterogeneous sets in matching question

Unread post by Mikedean »

I know it's better if the sets are homogenous
BUT
Is it ok to put heterogeneous sets in matching questions?
P.S.: I didn't put the headings on the columns and I didn't mention what is on the left column and what is on the right column either.
In this case, can I mix the elements of the columns?
Example:
This is an example: both columns have objects and materials.

1.Book. a.wood
2.Window. b. bottle
3.plastic. c. paper
4.spoon. d. metal

If anyone has a document or a link that talks about the possibility of creating heterogeneous sets; please share.
Ingless

Re: Heterogeneous sets in matching question

Unread post by Ingless »

While it's generally recommended to keep matching sets homogenous to avoid confusion and promote clear learning objectives, there could be cases where using heterogeneous sets in matching questions is acceptable, especially if your intention is to challenge critical thinking or create a more complex task. However, it's important to approach this with care to ensure that the assessment remains fair and meaningful.

Here are some considerations to keep in mind:

Clarity and Consistency: Ensure that the instructions clearly convey that the sets are heterogeneous and that the goal is to find associations despite the differences. Students should understand that the task involves making connections based on underlying concepts.

Complexity: Heterogeneous sets can increase the cognitive demand on students as they need to identify relationships beyond simple patterns. Consider the level of difficulty appropriate for the learners.

Learning Objectives: Align the use of heterogeneous sets with your learning objectives. If the objective is to assess more advanced skills like critical thinking or cross-disciplinary understanding, heterogeneous sets might be suitable.

Avoid Confusion: Ensure that the connections between elements in the columns are meaningful and not misleading. The goal is to challenge students' thinking, not to confuse them.

Instructions: Clearly explain how students should approach the task. If the sets are unconventional, providing guidance on how to analyze and match items is crucial. Myjdfaccount

Balanced Assessment: If you're using heterogeneous sets, balance the assessment by also providing traditional matching questions with homogenous sets to give students a mix of question types.

Feedback: Provide detailed feedback after the assessment so that students understand the reasoning behind the associations you intended.

I don't have a specific document or link regarding the use of heterogeneous sets in matching questions, but you might find educational research papers, assessment design guides, or instructional design resources helpful in understanding the principles of effective assessment design.

Ultimately, the key is to maintain the validity and reliability of your assessment while achieving your desired educational goals. Consulting with colleagues or instructional design professionals in your educational institution might provide additional insights tailored to your specific context.