Qualified primary school teacher - move abroad?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Sop92

Qualified primary school teacher - move abroad?

Unread post by Sop92 »

Hi :)

Qualified primary school teacher 7 years experience - mostly in EYFS & KS1!

I am interested in moving abroad to live and teach, not necessarily to teach English, but that is an option too! Looking to speak to people who have done similar, and just quiz them on their experience and any advice really! Where to go, which country is best for what! I have done my reading, but I’d like to get first hand advice and support from someone who has lived it.

If this is the wrong sorted, I’m sorry! Could anyone point me in the right direction? :)

Many thanks!
kdammers
Rising Star

Re: Qualified primary school teacher - move abroad?

Unread post by kdammers »

I mostly taught in colleges or universities and institutes when I taught abroad, but I can definitely say I enjoyed teaching in Germany, Mongolia, Korea and Kazakhstan. Each has its own particular allure. When You apply, be sure to stress that You have Your nationally recognized qualifications. When I taught in Korea (college level along with summer camps for kids), the pay was decent, the students mostly a lot of fun, the culture interesting, and the travel cheap. Since that was about8 years ago, I don't know how different it is now. I would suggest Taiwan. Schools there generally require national qualifications, which I interpret as meaning they are serious. The pay is good. On my vacations there, I found the people friendly and the culture fascinating. In Mongolia, the pay is not especially good and the capital is a pollution nightmare, but I had a ball teaching 9th grade English is a special government school. Also, the countryside is beautiful with pure air. I accepted a university position in a smaller city, but the government told the university president that they could not afford to pay me the $400/month they had offered me, so I left the country. In Korea, taking side jobs is generally not allowed, but in Mongolia, Germany and Kazakhstan, it is normally acceptable whether Your main employer is a state school or a private institute. In Mongolia, You can charge what-ever the market will bear, which can be a lot in Ulaanbaatar.