Japan Heathcare/Medication Query

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Josef Essberger

DCoop

Japan Heathcare/Medication Query

Unread post by DCoop »

Hi,

Both my wife and I are experienced teachers in the UK (she works in a primary school and I work in a university). We are looking for a bit of a change in direction and, having travelled around Japan, are looking into moving over to teach English. The (potential) problem is that we are both require prescription medication. In Britain we get this through the National Health Service. From my research it seems that Japan uses a subsidized insurance system but i've been unable to get a clear answer from any of the large TEFL providers regarding whether a prospective employer would cover our medications. Neither of our them are particularly unusual so I don't anticipate access being problem. It's more a case of who pays/how much it costs and how long it would take to set things up. The latter point is especially important for my wife. I get a months worth of medication at a time but she is diabetic and requires insulin and needles every week.

If anyone has experience navigating these issues it would be great to hear from you.

DC
DCoop

Re: Japan Heathcare/Medication Query

Unread post by DCoop »

Thanks for the info.