How do you feel about online tutoring?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Harry F.

Re: How do you feel about online tutoring?

Unread post by Harry F. »

Hi Kelly,

I only got involved in online teaching during the first lockdon, like many others, I assume. I was actually quite positively surprised by how effective it is (can be). I was inspired to create Wordpool.com with a pragrammer friend of mine. It's basically a notebook to which both the teacher and learner can add words. Then the learner can review any new vocabulary in their own time. They can add example sentences, of their own making at any time and the teacher can see, very clearly, any issues that arise when using the word. I've been using it actively for over a year now and it's very insightful to see what a learner actually understands from one's explanations.

give it a try. I'd love to hear what you think.

Kieron
Wordpool.com
johanet812

Unread post by johanet812 »

Hhhhmmm this is tough.

Aside from the fact that online tutoring is an environmentally-friendly way to provide education. It doesn't require any paper or textbooks, and it doesn't produce any emissions from cars or buses, promoting a greener world and alternative energy solutions. I really liked it because it was a great way to make some extra money while also doing something what I love.

But even more importantly, online tutoring is a great way to use one's skills and knowledge in an interesting and meaningful way. And since it can be done from home, it's perfect for those who want to work remotely or balance work with other commitments. So it's a great way to help the planet and to help people at the same time.
PatrickSt

Unread post by PatrickSt »

I think that online tutoring is okay. But I know some people, who can't study online, they just can't focus. So, I think that mostly the success of online tutoring depends on a person
tenneray
Rising Star

Unread post by tenneray »

I believe the pandemic accelerated trends that preceded it. The disparity between rich and poor was magnified; unions are springing up in the USA in response. Online shopping and online learning became much more popular. Online learning will continue to expand as Internet connections are enhanced by 5G and other innovations.
Personally, my online teaching work is something I do when I am not busy with my other two jobs in brick-and-mortar schools. Unfortunately, my online hourly rate is low, and I am seeking more lucrative online options. I must say that I enjoy it the most, though. I don't have to deal with unruly students, correcting papers, or giving grades.
hcb2022

Unread post by hcb2022 »

I've finished my TEFL course, and now I'm working on my practicum. My student is a graduate student in engineering at a local university, and his English is in the advanced category. I've been working with him online because of his class schedule. That worked out very well, I think. He absorbs everything like a sponge, takes notes during our meetings, and I give him many opportunities to talk. I asked him at the outset what he wanted to work on most, and he said "Everything." ;-) He's very modest about his English abilities. He demanded that I give him homework--he's a hard worker and a perfectionist--and I've been sending him homework via email. We then go over it during our Zoom meetings. Whenever he has a question during our tutoring sessions, he isn't afraid to ask. And during the week, if questions occur to him, he emails me immediately, which I'd asked him to do.

Today we'll be meeting in-person for the first time, at the local library. We'll see how that goes. Because my EFL teaching experience is minimal, I really don't know whether online or in-person tutoring is best.

I taught German for many years in-person, when there was no internet. Of course I'm used to teaching a class in-person. I also did some tutoring of adults, again in-person. But teaching online has some very positive aspects: no one has to drive far for a lesson, Zoom sessions are easily scheduled to fit in with the student's and teacher's schedules, and as long as you have a good connection you can pretty much tutor online as you have in-person.

I'll keep watching this discussion because I am such an TEFL newbie.
tenneray
Rising Star

Sadly, there are many truly awful online teaching jobs. I just read a job advertisement on another site. The advertised position requires a degree and:

- Commitment to teaching minimum of one complete semester (6 months)
- Punctual and responsible work ethic
- Positive attitude
- ...if you perform well you will get paid for Standby classes or no shows...

The advertised pay rate is $6 USD!! This advert is on a major, well-known website.
hcb2022

Unread post by hcb2022 »

I too have seen online tutoring jobs that pay atrociously. I haven't yet seen one that pays $6 per hour, which is totally ridiculous. I have seen ones that pay $9 per hour, and that too, in my opinion, is also absurd. I didn't go into TEFL to get rich. I knew that I wouldn't.

I've been a freelance editor, proofreader, and translator (German/English) since 1985, and my publisher clients went under because of COVID. I wrote to over 100 publishers for which I'd never worked before; normally that has netted me new clients in the past. I heard from absolutely none of these publishers. I never got rich as a freelancer, but I earned a decent hourly or per-project pay, and I loved my work. I still mourn the ending of my editorial-services business.

So I thought long and hard about what to do next. I ended up taking a TEFL course online; I'd researched TEFL courses pretty thoroughly, and I was most impressed with this one. It was indeed rigorous and tough, and I wrote and critiqued a ton of lesson plans in the course of my studies. I haven't written this many pages for a course since around 1984! I'm also going to be taking two short courses: Teaching EFL Online and Teaching Business English, which will run from April 18 until the end of May. I'm hoping that those will make me yet more marketable.

But I refuse to work for $6 or $9 per hour. I understand that, as a beginning EFL teacher, I'll earn less than an experienced one. But I won't work for that pitiful amount of money.
tenneray
Rising Star

Re: taxes and online teaching

In addition to salaries that are often low, there is another problem: taxes!
$15 an hour can go a long way in a Third World country. But some tax systems—such as that of the US—are regressive so taxes take a big bite out of that.
In any event, it's important to consider the taxes you'll pay.
Sjith

Unread post by Sjith »

I kind of have a neutral opinion regarding the online classes. Regarding convenience, I think it is right. But what about the live face-to-face interaction. Being in the classroom has more effectiveness, both mentally and emotionally on a child.
tenneray
Rising Star

I seldom teach children online. And you may be right: children may be more comfortable in a brick-and-mortar setting. In any case, I strongly believe there should be a minimum age (six years old?) set by online schools for children. Teaching a three-year old online is just insane!
ZoeBrown

Unread post by ZoeBrown »

I don't really like online tutoring. For me, it's complicated to be engaged in the process if it's online. And I know a lot of students with the same difficulties. My professors know about such problems, and they create some interesting activities that are important to keep everyone interested and involved in the process. My literature professor, for example, sometimes dedicates the lecture to role-playing. We have to read a poem, write a short analysis of the character, and present it to the group. Writing is my least favorite part, and usually, I read examples at https://essays.studymoose.com because otherwise, it takes me too much time to write something. But with acting, everyone is in love, and it's the only subject that visits each person from the group; no one skips it because it's always interesting. So, maybe you can also come up with some creative ideas.
Zeeneam

Unread post by Zeeneam »

Why not?
myselfahmad

Unread post by myselfahmad »

My professors are conscious of these problems and provide interesting exercises that are essential to retaining everyone's interest and participation in the process. For instance, periodically during lectures, my literature professor may incorporate role-playing. We have to read a poem, then quickly compose and provide a character analysis to the class.