Picking a TEFL course with an English Degree??

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

MartinG

Picking a TEFL course with an English Degree??

Unread post by MartinG »

HI!

I'm considering my options for a TEFL course as I want to travel to Japan to teach. I was considering both 120 hr online courses which include a weekend training course with a teaching practicing module or the CELTA intensive 4 week course. Obviously CELTA is the better qualification. However, I am planning to travel to Asia (i'm not picky what grade I teach and would actually prefer younger kids), I hold a Bachelors degree in English Literature from a recognised college in Dublin, Ireland.On the other hand, I have no formal teaching experience.

I was looking at Iinterac and they employ people who have just done a online TEFL? I am shying away from the CELTA as I'm not sure if I want to pursue teaching abroad as a long term profession, so I was thinking to do the TEFL online, try and get a job, then do the CELTA at a later date if after my first hand experience teaching I can decide whether I want to pursue it further. Or is this a waste of money and time doing an online TEFL where I will end up unable to get a reasonably paid position with a school?