Looking for a unique/creative workshop for ESL students

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

elwishfive

Re: Looking for a unique/creative workshop for ESL students

Unread post by elwishfive »

When it comes to the field of ESL education, most job prospects fall under teaching business English to adults or teaching children their basics. Teenagers aren’t everyone’s first thought, and they come with their own set of challenges.
Altenburger

Unread post by Altenburger »

Hello,
Is it advisable to go with card games or board games? Teenagers are sometimes unpredictable and I am afraid their reaction may be far from what I'm expecting it to be. Of course, a style of game may help learn a new cultural experience, but I'm hesitating..
Has anyone used any games for an educational workshop (Scattegories, for example)?

Adrian Altenburger

____________________________________________________________________________ https://essays.agency
Joe
Admin

Unread post by Joe »

Altenburger wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 10:29 Hello,
Is it advisable to go with card games or board games? Teenagers are sometimes unpredictable and I am afraid their reaction may be far from what I'm expecting it to be. Of course, a style of game may help learn a new cultural experience, but I'm hesitating..
Has anyone used any games for an educational workshop (Scattegories, for example)?

Adrian Altenburger

____________________________________________________________________________ https://essays.agency
Try the Word Up board game for English learners:
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
oneota
Rising Star

Unread post by oneota »

Word Up was a big hit with my Korean kids and teens. Sometimes they would stay longer after class playing, even though a snack or lunch was waiting for them!

Another possibility is to have students make their own board game. With guided work and insistence that communication be in English, teams can learn a lot and come up with something they can be proud of and that can be of use to later students. I have used game/test building as a PBL project in Korea with university students and in Kazakhstan with peri-teens.