am I too old?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Truth1975

Re: am I too old?

Unread post by Truth1975 »

No you are not too old to teach English. There are lots of teachers over 60 that are great. Don´t pull yourself down.
eggshell

Unread post by eggshell »

It's truly commendable that you want to continue teaching and contributing your skills as a volunteer, despite being 77 years old. Explore online volunteering opportunities with organizations that offer virtual teaching and tutoring services. Websites like VolunteerMatch, Idealist, and Catchafire often list remote volunteering opportunities.
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

broomnest wrote: 26 Aug 2023, 09:21 I am 77 years old. It seems like a waste of the remaining years I am willing to give, but nobody seems to want me. I am wondering, does anyone know of a volunteer position or organization that handles volunteers? Perhaps TEFL.com might open a section for we older but better teachers that aren't ready to hang up our lesson plans.
It’s the age and insurance. No one is going to insure you at that age. If you’re in the west and already have health insurance it might not be so much of a problem and there might be opportunities with local authorities or local community groups teaching English to immigrants, but in countries with no universal health care no one is going to take you on even as a volunteer. There are plenty of online volunteer opportunities, but you'll find they're all looking for twenty something's. I'm in the 60's bracket and don't even try anymore.
MrGreg

Unread post by MrGreg »

Never too old to start! Older you are, the more experience you have in the language.
John V55
Top Contributor

Unread post by John V55 »

MrGreg wrote: 19 Sep 2023, 13:53 Never too old to start! Older you are, the more experience you have in the language.
Unfortunately, if you’re looking at the Far East and Asia that’s not the case. The schools might welcome you, but the immigration department won’t. Over 60 and you’ll struggle to get a work permit. That’s just how life is outside the west.
eggshell

You're correct that some countries, especially in Asia, may have stricter age limits for obtaining work permits for teaching positions, which can pose challenges for older individuals seeking employment in these regions. In Asia, the retirement age in the government is 55-60 years old.
leon99
Rising Star

Unread post by leon99 »

I believe that you are young and have the advantage of accumulated experience👌
AwallsELT

Unread post by AwallsELT »

The oldest TEFL teacher I worked with was 84, and he had been working with that school for 14 years. Before that he was a high school teacher.
eggshell

That's amazing to hear.
vimalzubaa

Unread post by vimalzubaa »

Thank you for the kind reply.
pradadasy

Unread post by pradadasy »

In Asia, the retirement age in the government is 55-60 years old.
whatsapp mod
YOWhatsApp