Writing book/guide for would-be TEFL teachers - Suggestions?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

MrSlippery

Writing book/guide for would-be TEFL teachers - Suggestions?

Unread post by MrSlippery »

Hello,

I have been traveling the world teaching English abroad for nearly eight years now, and I often find that my friends and people back home are curious as to how to go about doing it themselves.

Now that I have a bit of experience under my belt, I decided that I would write an e-book on the subject. I say "book," but it's really more of a guide.

I have, for the most part, finished it. But before I publish it, I was hoping to talk with other teachers (current or hopefuls) and get some ideas as to what I should include in it that perhaps I may have missed.

For example, I have a chapter that discusses the typical questions people have before they go abroad such as, "What should I bring?" "How to I deal with homesickness?" "Will I make enough money to live comfortably?" etc...

If possible, I was wondering if some of you would be able to share some questions you had (or you think other people have) so that I could address them.

I have another chapter that is titled "How to make the most out of living in my new home," which basically discusses how to more quickly acclimate to one's new surroundings and how to, basically, enjoy and make the most out of it.

For instance, when I was living in Japan, one of the best things I did was join a local boxing gym. I talk about the benefits, like meeting new people, practicing the language, etc... I was wondering what advice you would give to someone who found themselves in a new, unfamiliar town to help them "make the most" of it.

I also have another chapter "Other tips and words of advice" where I essentially offer what I have personally found to make my experiences abroad much more satisfying that other people may not think of, for instance; learning to sing a song in your host country's language (particularly useful in Japan), creating new 'country specific' social media accounts, not spending too much time hanging out with other foreigners, etc...

If anyone has any of their own tips that they feel helped make their stay abroad much more enjoyable, I would like to hear them.

I also have a chapter on "useful links" that lists a number of websites that I have found useful throughout my TEFL career. If anyone could share websites/blogs that helped them, I would also like to know about those.

Again, any information or suggestions anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help/time,

-Jeremy
John V55
Top Contributor

Re: Writing book/guide for would-be TEFL teachers - Suggestions?

Unread post by John V55 »

There’s lots of stuff out there that address newbie concerns, but conversely, a lot of it stems from recruitment agents, is of poor quality and is more designed to attract clients than address issues. Specifically, the ‘come and travel and have fun’ type.
I think you have to put yourself in the place of those never having travelled before; homesickness, culture changes and general feelings of stepping into the unknown.
Two short articles I wrote recently might help and above all, you need to be honest.

TEFL Job Seeking
https://www.academia.edu/28676223/TEFL_ ... k_the_Door

An English TEFL Teacher in Inner Mongolia
https://www.academia.edu/16438508/An_En ... r_Mongolia
MrSlippery

Re: Writing book/guide for would-be TEFL teachers - Suggestions?

Unread post by MrSlippery »

Hello John,

Thank you very much for your input.

I tried to read your articles, but they 404'd.