Online Job Prospects?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Driftwood

Online Job Prospects?

Unread post by Driftwood »

Hi all,
I'm a 58 year old Irish male, and this is my first post.

I've no degree, but I'm very interested in getting involved in teaching English as a foreign language. Initially I'd like to teach online.

I have a small pension from my army days, given that and my age, I'm clearly not looking for a career! I'm looking for something that could bring in about €250 PW.

So here's my questions:
Firstly is this feasible?
Where is the best place to get a TEFL qualification online?
What is the minimum qualification I should aim for?
How long would you expect the training to take?
How many hours would you expect I'd need to put in weekly to bring in about €250 PW?

Many thanks for you help.
odyssey
Rising Star

Re: Job Prospects

Unread post by odyssey »

I will answer some points:

Firstly is this feasible?
Yes

Where is the best place to get a TEFL qualification online?

What is the minimum qualification I should aim for?
TEFL CERTIFICATE. I think there are now courses that focus on teaching online though whether part of the TEFL course or an add-on I'm not sure.

How long would you expect the training to take?

How many hours would you expect I'd need to put in weekly to bring in about €250 PW?
From what I've heard EUR20/hour is a max for online teaching and rates could be lower at say EUR10/hour. You also need to allow perhaps 20% of your time for preparation work, for which you likely won't be paid.

https://www.tefl.net/tefl-guide/

https://www.tefl.net/elt/articles/teach ... roduction/

Hope it helps :mrgreen:
odyssey
Rising Star

Re: Online Job Prospects?

Unread post by odyssey »

I would add that as you get more experienced, preparation time goes down. In fact, at the very beginning it could actually be more than 20%. Preparation is one of the most important things. It's what gives you confidence in the (online) classroom.

Just IMHO :)
Driftwood

Unread post by Driftwood »

Thanks for the speedy reply.
Thats great to hear. I've a bit of research to do and thanks for the links.
Atlas
Rising Star

Unread post by Atlas »

DIY - Earn More and Be Safe from Scammers, Skimmers, and Identity Thieves

Personally I think it is BIG MISTAKE to use online job ads to find a TEFL Teaching Job and here is why:

* 80%+ of those online job ads are fake bait ads posted by scam artists, identity thieves or kimming job agents/recruiters according to the CTA, CFTU, China Scam Patrol, ChinaScamWatch.org and the ETA. Therefore you have an 80% chance of getting cheated.

* You will earn about 30%-50% less money by using any middlemen no matter what BS the recruiters and job agents tell you

* Less than 5% of the online job ads you see are posted by the actual real employer

* If you send your resume or passport scans to any online ad operator your information will be sold at least a dozen times to resume brokers and identity thieves. The spam and countless calls you get will be the least of your problems.

The best and SAFEST way to get a high-paying and legitimate job with a reputable employer is to go the DIY route like I do and use the employer contact lists of the CFTU or their White List to make sure only a company that is a real licensed employer with a verifiable business license is getting your information. The CTA alao provides the same free service but their list is only in China. The CFTU list is world-wide. Get the details and instructions at https://reddit.com/r/cftu (scroll down about half way until you see the post offering Direct Employer Contacts. Good luck to you.
Look Before You Leap at https://reddit.com/r/teflscams