Teaching to low-academic students

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

GTOnizuka

Teaching to low-academic students

Unread post by GTOnizuka »

Hello,

I have recently started a job as an ALT in Japan at at technical high school. The staff and students are all very kind, however the student`s English ability is very, very low. Most of them can manage to say "How do you do?" but are otherwise unable to speak English.

Now this wouldn`t be a problem, except my Japanese English teachers are asking me to teach high school level English to these students who`s ability is Jr. high at best. Any activity or lesson plan that I make is "too complicated" for the students. I am unsure of how to proceed, and how to simplify the English enough so that the students can learn, but still keep my lessons fun and interesting.

So I guess my question is, how do I teach low-academic students?
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Teaching to low-academic students

Unread post by Lucy »

You need to start by teaching to the level of the students, not the level your colleague s think they are. You'll need to bring them up to the desired level quickly. Explain to your colleagues what their level is.

My limited experience of Japanese students is that their written level is much higher than the spoken level. You may also find the same.