Non-native teacher: What are my job prospects?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

rrs42

Non-native teacher: What are my job prospects?

Unread post by rrs42 »

Hi there. New member here ;)

I'm a non-native English speaker who's interested in teaching English overseas. Last year I started teaching English online and found that I really love it. I'm wondering what's the probability of me getting hired in various countries, given that I'm not a native speaker. Here's some quick facts about me:

- I'm a Lithuanian (EU) native, 20-something.
- I speak fluent English without much of an accent (however, it's noticeable by native speakers). People have told me my accent sounds like something in between British and American.
- I have a university degree from UK (unrelated to languages); lived there for 4 years.
- Been teaching English & Lithuanian for 6 months online. Received some solid feedback from my students.
- Currently completing my 120 hrs online TEFL.
- Have worked on/off as a EN-LT translator for two years. Not certified, though.
- Speak three other languages at varying levels and learning more.

I'm mostly interested in teaching in Central & Eastern Europe, but will certainly consider other continents as well.

What would say are my chances as a non-native speaker? Would YOU be interested in hiring me me if you looked at my CV?

Thanks for your opinion!
Rabia

Re: Non-native teacher: What are my job prospects?

Unread post by Rabia »

Hi there,

I think you can consider Turkey, foreign teachers are really respected and hired here if their English is good. It is a very beautiful country and foreigners have a bunch of working opportunities. The terror and safety issues are not as how it seems in the media. Although you can't save much as Euro because of the currency difference, you could live very comfortably with your wage and private lesson requests would be flooding over you :D I know because I have been working here in schools, courses and private lessons. However if you are a woman, pressure of daily life is difficult, especially in the long run.

You can ask me if you are interested. Good luck.

Also, if you could you read my first post and tell me what you think of Lithuania, I would be really happy. Thanks a lot.