CV advice

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

Boru500

CV advice

Unread post by Boru500 »

Hello everyone

I was wondering if I could get some solid advice on writing a CV for a TEFL job. I have done my research already but a lot of the advice I’ve found online has been contradictory. Is there anything I definitely need on my CV? Is there a definitive way to order it?

I have recently got my CELTA but apart from that I don’t have any teaching experience. I have a degree but it’s not related to teaching. I’ve tried to highlight transferable skills when listing my previous jobs. I have done a lot of bar-work in the past…I’m wondering if I should maybe leave one or two of these out of my CV as the repetitiveness of it could look bad?

I also spent a year at university doing a course I didn’t like(I finished the first year of it but switched to a different course in September). I was wondering if I should mention this somewhere on the CV to explain what I was doing in that time-period?

Being from Northern Ireland, I am eligible for Irish and British citizenship and I have both passports. I was wondering if it would be in any way helpful to mention both of these? I’ve been told it’s necessary to mention nationality on TEFL CVs.

Anyways, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
John V55
Top Contributor

Re: CV advice

Unread post by John V55 »

I've published two articles on resume design, structure and content, one specifically for Asia.
Hope this helps.

http://www.academia.edu/14869843/Altern ... nd_Content
http://www.academia.edu/11730253/Design ... her_Resume
Boru500

Unread post by Boru500 »

Thank you very much!
allard02

Unread post by allard02 »

The best advice is free. There's plenty on the internet, like at the Kent Uni website above. You just need to sit down a few hours and apply your brain. Draft and redraft. I doubt there are any CV companies that offer a money-back guarantee if you don't get a job.