Practical advice for a 45 year old considering TEFL

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

mockturtle

Practical advice for a 45 year old considering TEFL

Unread post by mockturtle »

Hello to all, I am new to the forum.

I am a 45 year old woman who is seriously considering teaching English abroad. My circumstances are that I have the freedom to travel and take on long term contracts. I am in the process of applying for a CELTA course.

I have a degree, I am a qualified lawyer and have some city experience and (a long time ago)taught regulatory examination courses.

Ideally, I would like a position in Thailand or South East Asia but will consider elsewhere. However, I am concerned about my age and that I have been out of the job market for about 3 years. I am also concerned about pay levels etc. I want to work safely and live reasonably comfortably. Any surplus, I would use enjoying the culture and subsidising further travel. I am not expecting to return to the UK with a pot of cash.

Am I on a fool's errand? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

MockTurtle
Mr_Grant

Re: Practical advice for a 45 year old considering TEFL

Unread post by Mr_Grant »

Hi there Mock Turtle,

Are you on a fool's errand? Absolutely not. At 45 years of age, you are still young! You shouldn't have any trouble finding employment as a teacher in Asia. And no, it doesn't matter that you've been out of the work force for a while.

I've taught in China for 4 years. I've seen many people who have decided to leave long careers in the West and take up teaching here. Most of them seem to be quite happy with the decision. In China, you could definitely make enough to live comfortably, despite the high cost of living. In Thailand, your chosen destination, the pay may be lower, but the cost of living there is among the lowest in the world. Also, Thailand is very accepting of 'older' teachers. You could definitely get hired here in China, too, although primary schools might pass you over for a younger chap only because it's physically exhausting work with a class full of 60 little kids (with emphasis on the word might). It's when teachers get older than 50 that Chinese recruiters become reluctant to hire (as the retirement age in China is 55).

Cheers!

Mr_Grant