Second career?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

chemline

Second career?

Unread post by chemline »

Hi all....this is my first post here so please be gentle :D

After 30 years in international sales and marketing I am looking to move out of corporate life into something less 9 to 5 (if only it was just 9 to 5!).

Back in the mists of time I did a Modern Languages degree (French & German) and looked into teaching English about 25 years ago but decided the time wasn't right.

I am now looking into this again as a second career and have just started researching courses, job prospects etc.

I am only interested in teaching in the UK....I have done my share of travel over the years and others are quite welome to it.

So these are my questions.....

What would the job prospects be for someone like me......mature in years....bags of business experience (does include some limited time delivering training to others) but with a basic qualification and no teaching experience?

What sort of qualification should I go for? I can use annual leave to attend a course and am not looking to do it on the cheap.

All comments and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: Second career?

Unread post by Susan »

Hi Chemline,

Here is a link to info on teaching qualifications:

http://www.tefl.net/teaching/qualifications.htm

Please let us know if you have more questions after reading that.

You're right to invest in a good qualification.
If you can get your training done in time, you could start out by applying for the summer school jobs in the UK. Year round jobs are very competitive.

Susan
chemline

Re: Second career?

Unread post by chemline »

Many thanks for the quick reply.....I'll go and do some reading.