Career Prospects

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

DanCW

Career Prospects

Unread post by DanCW »

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on getting into TEFL as a career. I've been working for the past 8 years as a university lecturer in Media (always on P/T hours or fixed-term contract), but have found it very hard to get a foot in the door in a full-time position, even after getting my PhD earlier this year.

As such, I'm giving serious thought to TEFL as a career change (I've toyed with the idea for a few years now), and looking at getting a CELTA qualification probably by this time next year (taking saving for course fees into account).

I suppose my questions are, how easy/quick is it to find work after getting a CELTA? Particularly in terms of getting a job confirmed before actually relocating to a country, as opposed to just rocking up in a new country hoping to find work while you're there - ideally looking at somewhere in Europe as opposed to the Far East. Would a couple of months or voluntary work in the UK initially be helpful in terms of this?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Worlda

Re: Career Prospects

Unread post by Worlda »

Hi Dan (nice name!),
I can't say much for Europe but I know China very well as I've been here since 2010. Once you got that teaching certification, you would probably not have a very difficult time to come here. You can use those 8 years as a lecturer as teaching experience, and as long as you have a bachelors degree and that teaching certification, you would have no problem getting a Z visa. Let me know if you have any more questions,