Unread post by 1970novass »

Hello:
Would it be possible to have my Lesson Plan reviewed:
Here is what I received to summarize my points:
To summarize, the points you need to address are as follows:
Learner Objectives
-State the usage you are covering.
-Study stage
Ensure that the language point is covered in detail.
Make sure that you are focusing on a single usage of the present continuous.
Elicit as much relevant information from the students as possible at the start of the Study stage.
Ensure that examples of the information you elicit (sentences, usage, structures) are included in your Study stage procedure.
Follow that elicitation with clarification of the usage and structure of the present continuous if necessary.

Worksheets/Exercises
Provide examples of the questions asked and answers expected for the worksheets/exercises.
Keep the worksheets where they are in the lesson plan.

Activate stage
Ensure that the activities you choose are suitable for the Activate stage of the lesson.
Ensure that the students are producing present continuous sentences in keeping with the one usage you are covering in the Study stage.
Provide examples of the language you expect the students to produce during the Activate stage.

Here is my Lesson Plan
Learner Objectives:1. For students to properly use the affirmative form of the present continuous tense.(sub+to be+ verb+ing)
2. To understand when the present continuous tense is used.

Personal aims: 1. To keep students actively engaged, and to monitor progress throughout the lesson.
2. To increase more STT while using minimal amount of T-S involvement.
3. Continue to build rapport with students by providing with accurate information.

Problems for students: 1. Lack of motivation.
2. Mistaking the use of present simple with present continuous.
3. Misunderstanding of the proper use of present continuous: meaning “now” verses a later time both past and future.
4. Confusing the use of gerunds in sentences.

Solution: 1. Utilize lesson plans and worksheets to actively engage the students by presenting material in the affirmative form of present continuous tense with examples and word games.
2. If questions arise, explain how present simple is used to talk about habits or routines=things that do not change. Present continuous is used when we talk about actions which are happening at the present moment.
3. If questions arise, explain how gerunds are words that are formed from verbs but act as nouns. For example “swimming” is a verb with and -ing ending acting as a noun. In this case it is the subject of this sentence. (Swimming is fun)
4. Explain to the students that today’s lesson is focused on something that is happening now. (time of speaking)

Problems for teacher: 1. Keeping the students from getting bored or loosing focus on material.
2. Students conversing with one another about other things.

Solution: 1. Interacting with students and keeping the information flow at a steady pace, but not to take over the class and allowing the students to particpate in games and interact with one another.
2. To ask students questions or redirect any question(s) to other students and getting them back on track.

Engage 1
5 min
T-S
1. Have a list of words pre-written on a piece of paper and write one word at a time on the board.
2. Word(s) should be in the present continuous tense.
3. Allow the students to read and think about each word that is written.
4. Then ask them to say a sentence using that word.
5. I will then elicit more examples from the students and write them on the board.
6. I will ask the students, What am I doing right now? *Appendix Engage 1

Engage 2
5 min
T-S
After we have reviewed all words from the list, I would then elicit more examples from the students.
Making any corrections that may present itself.

Study 1
5 min
T-S
1. Elicit words from the students and ask them to say a correct present continuous tense sentence.
Making any corrections that may present itself.
2. Ask a student to walk over to the window and look outside.
As he/she is walking to the window, I will ask the classroom, what is he/she doing right now? Answer, He/she is walking to the window. He/she is looking outside. He/she is smiling.
3. Once that student reaches the window, I ask that they describe to the class what they see and give me 2 sentences.
Example: I see a man walking. I see a man running.
As they state their sentences, I will write them on the board.
*Even if they present the sentences incorrectly, I will write what they say as an example

Study 2
10 in
T-S
1. Introduce the affirmative form of present continuous and let the students know that this will be our focus and meaning for the day.
2. Explain to the students how we would use the affirmative form of present continuous tense.
Example= sub+{am/is/are}+verb ing.
“to be” words such as (am/is/are)

*Using the example sentences I just wrote on the board*
=I see a man walking
I will write:
*He is walking.

3. I will elicit student participation by asking them to give me another example using this formula.
4. I will then erase the previous sentences and elicit more sentences from the students.

*They provide me with the following sentence:
John is playing his instrument.

Here I will underline each word as it relates to the sentence. John = (subject)
1. Introduce the affirmative form of present continuous and let the students know that this will be our focus and meaning for the day.
2. Explain to the students how we would use the affirmative form of present continuous tense.
Example= sub+{am/is/are}+verb ing.
“to be” words such as (am/is/are)

*Using the example sentences I just wrote on the board*
=I see a man walking
I will write:
*He is walking.

3. I will elicit student participation by asking them to give me another example using this formula.
4. I will then erase the previous sentences and elicit more sentences from the students.

*They provide me with the following sentence:
John is playing his instrument.

Here I will underline each word as it relates to the sentence.
John = (subject)
is = (“to be”=am/is/are)
playing = (verb + ing)
his instrument = (rest of the sentence)

5. Tell the students we will now do an exercise.
6. Hand out Appendix 1, and tell the students they are to write the affirmative form of the present continuous tense for each sentence.
*Example=John play his trumpet.
Answer= John is playing his trumpet.

7. Tell the students they are to underline each
subject / “to be” / verb+ing.
8. Once they have completed the exercise, I will ask that someone read me their answers. Allowing the students to ask questions and make any corrections as needed.
*Teachers note:
Hand out Appendix 1.
Monitor and make corrections as needed.

Study 3
10 min
T-S
1. Once again, reinforcement takes place by reviewing words, sentences and asking the students questions, and to answer any questions they might have.
2. I would tell the students we will now play a game.
Here I will hand out flashcards numbered 1-2-3-4
3. Once I have handed out cards 1-4, students with the cards will all walk up to the front of the classroom.
They will have an opportunity to look at their cards and unscramble the words to formulate a sentence.
Once they have unscrambled the words, they will say whether they have a subject, “to be”, verb +ing or the remaining sentence.
One person will read the entire sentence in the affirmative form of present continuous tense.
4. I will then ask the class if anyone can answer when would we use the affirmative form of present continuous tense.
*Answer=to talk about something that is happening at the time of speaking.
3. If time permits, I will allow the students to mix up the cards and allow them to unscramble the words to form their own sentences.
*Teachers note:
Hand out Appendix 2
Make sure to have phrases pre-cut and numbered

Study 4
10 min
T-S
*Erase all notes from the board.
1. Explain to the students that we will be doing a practical application.
2. Hand out material that will cover 10 questions (multiple choice, write your own sentence)

*Example of a multiple choice question.
Peter is ________ his new instrument now.
(a) played
(b) playing
(c) played
(d) playend
*Can either circle the correct letter (b) or write in the answer, in this case playing is the correct answer.

*Write out a complete sentence with the word provided, using the affirmative form of present continuous tense.
3. Explain to the students they have 10 min to complete this exercise.
*Teachers note:
Hand out Appendix 3
Monitor as needed.

Study 5
5 min
T-S
Review handouts. Ask the students to read out loud the question and their answer and make corrections as they come up.

Activate 1
10 min
SST
1. Next students we will play another game.
2. I will post 12 pictures on the board and tell the students they are to write a sentence describing each picture in the affirmative form of present continuous.

*For example:
Picture 1 depicts (Someone running.)
*I will write on the board*
He is running. He is running now.

3. After they have written their sentences, I will group them in pairs and allow them to review their sentences with one another.
4. Next I will assign a picture to each student. Each student will then write 3 sentences related to their picture.

*For example:
My picture shows someone running.
*I will write:
He is running. I am running. We are running.

5. Once they have written their sentences, each student will then write their sentences next to their picture on the board. Each student will then describe their picture and say what they wrote, to the class. Allowing students to make corrections as needed.

*Teachers note:
Hand out Appendix 4.
I will be listening for proper content and proper usage of the affirmative form of present continuous tense from a distance.
Assist only when necessary.
Make sure poster/cards are ready to hand out.
*Finish class by saying what did today’s lesson on affirmative form of the present continuous mean, and how it is used.
Congratulate everyone for their participation and job well done.
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: Lesson Plan review

Unread post by Susan »

your reviewer has clearly stated that you need to focus on one use of the present continuous. You absolutely have to mention which use you will focus on in your objectives at the beginning of the lesson plan.

To quote you:

Once that student reaches the window, I ask that they describe to the class what they see and give me 2 sentences.
Example: I see a man walking. I see a man running.

This isn't the present continuous. Think carefully about covering this in your lesson.

QUOTE: Here I will underline each word as it relates to the sentence.
John = (subject)
is = (“to be”=am/is/are)
playing = (verb + ing)
his instrument = (rest of the sentence)

you could elicit this from the students to engage them instead of telling them. Your reviewer has asked you to do this. You need to show that you're doing what your reviewer is asking you to do.