6 years experience but no CELTA/TEFL, wanting to get qualified

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

SebyC

6 years experience but no CELTA/TEFL, wanting to get qualified

Unread post by SebyC »

Hi all,

I'm a 35 year old teacher with 6 years experience but I never qualified. I'm working in Spain in academies and doing private classes, mainly with adults and teenagers - general English and exam preparation. This is what I've done almost entirely throughout the 6 years I've been teaching.

I'd like to broaden my career and move into a better paid job with career prospects, for example in schools, universities, the British Council.

I realise I need to be qualified. Most colleagues tell me if I were to do the CELTA/TEFL, I'd probably know already about 75% of it, and that although it would be useful, it might seem like a waste of money as much of the experience I've gained will have already taught me what is included in the course.

I'd therefore like to ask if anyone might be able to give me any pointers as to if there are any other options available, which will advance my career without having to 'go back' and do a TEFL course.

Any advice would be greatly received.
DaveyT

Re: 6 years experience but no CELTA/TEFL, wanting to get qualified

Unread post by DaveyT »

Hi
I'd be reluctant to under-estimate the course or to over-estimate anybody's ability to do it. Of course, I don't know what you are like as a teacher, but I've found that a CELTA will put people out of their comfort zone for many different reasons. These reasons are generally unexpected, hence the candidate is then out of their comfort zone.
For trainees with 6 years experience, I'd be worried about bad habits that might have formed and/or and inability to try out new methods. The course might just be the thing that stretches you in new directions.
Having said that, if it doesn't, you can get a Pass A and flaunt that on your CV. After gaining the experience you have, I'd advise a DELTA for which you'd need a CELTA anyway, so you can always use it as a spring board if nothing else.

David