DELTA, focus on PRONUNCIATION

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

sofiac

DELTA, focus on PRONUNCIATION

Unread post by sofiac »

Hi everybody,

I'm a DELTA trainee and I'm working on my LSA1, in particular on those quantifiers to teach at lower levels (much/many/a lot of - how much/how many – too much/too many– enough- a few/a little) and I was wondering what kind of issues can I deal with in terms of pronunciation. I was thinking about pointing out the difference between prominent syllables and accentend ones in connected speech, but how to indicate this difference in a sentence like 'I've too many thing to do'? Would you suggest any other issue? And how to deal with it?

Thanks!
Sofia
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: DELTA, focus on PRONUNCIATION

Unread post by Lucy »

Yes, good idea to focus on stressed and unstressed sounds. You can let the students indicate the differences themselves. They listen to you saying the phrase and mark it up. Remember to give them the opportunity to say the phrases.
Joe
Admin

Unread post by Joe »

You could explain to them the importance of stress in English, but also that Word Stress and Sentence Stress are not the same (although they are part of the same system).

Word Stress is one stressed (prominent) syllable within a word, and Sentence Stress is one or more stressed (prominent) words within a sentence, usually all on the same beat. These pages on EnglishClub.com have audio:

Word Stress

Sentence Stress

And somewhat related:

Linking
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
graemecr

Unread post by graemecr »

you could also focus on the vowel sounds - many learners have problems with much , saying it mach. you could also look at linking e.g. a lot_of. the main thing for your grammar area tho, as already said, is sentence stress.

this lesson is a good starting point maybe, http://soundsenglish.com/stress-in-sent ... ciaiton-2/