Please I need HELP!!!

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

noobug

Please I need HELP!!!

Unread post by noobug »

Hello, Please can you be so kind as to look at my 4 assignments and PLEASE help me.

Think of a game or activity which could help young learners develop their speaking skills (do not use those already mentioned in the module) and describe, step by step, how you would play it with your class. Note: in this game/activity the learners should talk to each other using sentences rather than single words. The class is beginner or elementary level.
(Please write a minimum of 100 words)

As a teacher I would use the following game with my students to develop their speaking skills. Form a big circle in the classroom. Give every student a number (eg - 1, 2, 3, 4) In a hat/box have all the numbers on paper folded up. I will then hand the hat/box to student number one. The student must with their eyes closed pull out a number from the at/box and hand the paper to the teacher. The teacher will ensure that the student doesn't select their own number. After the student has selected the number he/she must stand up and read out the number they have chosen (eg - I picked number 5). Student number 5 must then also stand up. The student who selected the number must then start off with a sentence eg- I have a cat. The students must use the words they have learnt in class that day eg - the 5 vowels (a, e, i, o, u) and in their sentence use a word that contains a vowel. Student number 5 will then get a turn to select a number out of the hat/box and then the student who was selected will have to stand up with student number 5. Student number 5 must then look at student number 1's sentence (I have a cat), and add another sentence to the sentence I have a cat eg - I have a cat and he likes fish. The aim is that the students will interact with one another and have fun adding to each others sentences but keeping in mind the lesson they had with the words they have learnt.

Comment: This is a fun activity but I am afraid you have misunderstood what 'talk to each other' means. This means some form of communication must take place i.e. one student says something and the other responds to this using sentences, as we do in a normal conversation. It does not mean that each student just repeats a sentence. With your activity there is very little communication involved i.e. the students are not talking to each other. Please try this question again with an activity where the students actually talk to each other.

You are teaching a mono lingual class of 8 year olds. There are 20 students in the class. This is the beginning of their second year of learning English. Write a 45 minute lesson plan with the following objective:

Objective: For students to learn and practise 6 new action verbs

Target language (list the action verbs you will teach)
Assumed knowledge (for example, list some vocabulary and grammatical structures the students already know, which can be of use during the lesson)
Anticipated problems
Solutions
Preparations and aids
A step-by-step plan of the entire lesson including the timing of each stage and activity.

Objective: Students to learn and practice 6 new action verbs

Target Language: Climb, Travel, Whistle, Catch, Gather, Measure
Lesson Length: 45 minutes
Assumed Knowledge:
Students will have the knowledge that verbs are doing words and the use of basic sentence structures.

Anticipated Problems:
Students may have forgotten the basic structure of sentences and might struggle to learn the new verbs.

Solutions:
For students who might struggle with the learning of new verbs, drilling activities can be used. For the students struggling with sentence structures revising previous thought work and using activities and games.

Preparations and Aids:
Flashcards, Black/white board, chalk and hand out for homework.

Lesson Plan:

Stage One:
Warmer
Game: Hangman with previously thought verbs

Stage Two:
Lead/in:
Draw a stick figure on the board and get students to name to figure ‘John’

Stage Three:
Presentation:
Flashcards to show the verbs and name them
Teacher to do the action of the verb where necessary.

Stage Four:
Presentation:
John can climb up the tree
John likes to travel by car
John has a loud whistle
John will catch the ball
John will gather all the apples
John will measure the distance
Point to each picture and ask students to corally repeat the sentence of each teacher

Stage Five:
Review:
Point to each flashcard and get the students to corally and individually identify each verb.

Stage Six:
Review:
Point to each card and get students to say the sentence.

Stage Seven:
Activity:
Split class in five groups of four and play charades (miming) each group will have a turn to mime the verb they chose and the rest of the class must guess which verb they are miming.

Stage Eight:
Concept Questions:
1. How will John get up the tree?
2. What doe John like to do by car?
3. What is loud that John does?
4. What will John do with the ball?
5. What will John do with the apples?
6. How will John get the distance?

Stage Nine:
Hand out the Home work worksheet

Stage Ten:
If time allows to end of the lesson end it with a game of their choice.

Comment: Thanks for your hard work on this module. I’d like you to resubmit your lesson plan.
You need to state the timing of each stage.
It is not clear why the students should drill these sentences in stage 4. The objective is the six action verbs, so this is what they should be practising.
You need to provide the students with a production - free speaking - task to practise the target language.
Here is the suggested staging:

Warmer (preferably something active, related to the context you'll use if possible)
Set context
Elicit vocabulary
Drill chorally and individually
Give the written form (they need to see the spelling)
Controlled speaking and writing practice
Freer practice (a production exercise)

Prepare a plan for a 45-minute lesson on vocabulary of character traits. You have a class of 60 students. While the class is labeled ‘intermediate’ there are different levels within the group. Think how you will generate and sustain student interest, how you will group the students and how you will cater for different learner levels.

Note: you need to teach vocabulary of character/personality traits such as ‘honest’, ‘stubborn’ or ‘sensible’, not moods and feelings such as ‘happy’ or ‘sad’. When considering presentation techniques, bear in mind that the target vocabulary is non-visual (i.e. you cannot draw 'honest', etc), so think of other techniques of conveying the meaning.

Please include the following information:

Target language (list the words you will teach)
Assumed knowledge (list vocabulary/structures you expect all your students to know)
Anticipated problems
Solutions
Preparations and aids
A step-by-step plan of the entire lesson including the timing of each stage.

Lesson Length: 45 Minutes

Objective: To learn and practice vocabulary and character traits

Target Language: Grumpy, Cheerful, Honest, Patient, Loyal, and Adventurous

Assumed Knowledge: Students have learnt some character traits in previous lessons. Aware of all main tenses and have quite a high level of vocabulary and are able to communicate reasonably well in English.

Anticipated Problems: Students may get bored and may not fully understand vocabulary

Solutions: Involve the students so that their concentration doesn’t wonder. Use repetition, drilling and concept questions or use a bilingual dictionary if needed.

Preparation and Aids: Flashcards, black/white board

Lesson Stages:

Stage One: (5min)
Warmer
Game: Hangman with previously thought Character Traits

Stage Two: (5 min)
Lead/In
Draw a stick figure on the board and get students to name to figure ‘John’

Stage Three: (5 min)
Tell the student s that they are learning new character traits and ask them if they can remember learning character traits.

Stage Four: (5 min)
John gets grumpy when his team is loosing
John is cheerful when he plays rugby
John is an honest person
John has patient tone when he speaks
John is a loyal friend
John is an adventurous horse rider
Point to each picture and ask students to corally repeat the sentence of each teacher

Stage Five: (5min)
Concept Questions:
1. What is John’s mood when his team is losing?
2. What is John when he plays rugby?
3. What person is John?
4. What tone does John have when he speaks?
5. What friend is John?
6. What type of horse rider is John?

Stage Six: (5min)
Group student according to their levels and give the easier words to lower level groups and mor harder words to higher level groups

Stage Seven: (5min)
Activity:
Divide the students into groups and get them to discuss what character traits best suit them as an individual and get them to then in groups tell the class what traits each student has chosen.

Stage Eight: (5min)
Make up a story of the character traits learnt in the lesson and read the story to the class. When the teacher names one of the character traits the groups previously formed will work together to jump up and name the character trait that was mentioned in the story read by the teacher.

Stage Nine: (5 min)
Homework:
Call up students to assist handing out home work.

Stage Ten:
If time allows play a game of their choice.

Comment: You seem to have misunderstood the task.

To begin with, you seem to assume that all your students already know character traits from the start and are able to use those words as they describe people. This is not supposed to be the case however. The reason you are teaching character traits is to ensure that everyone understands specific words (such as honest, shy, etc) and is able to use them when describing people. True, the stronger students in your class might already know them, but you need to make sure everyone does and also that there is no doubt in anyone's mind as to what exactly each target word means. How do you achieve that? Please think how you would organize the presentation of the target language. How would you ensure that everyone understands each word? How would you check the meanings? What I would really like to see is how you would teach these words. Give a few examples. Think carefully about how you would do this. Mimng or showing a picture won't work for many of these.

The main thing here is to write the lesson plan based on what you know about the issues with large mulilevel classes and following the models your learned when you did the lesson planning part of the main course:

A step-by-step plan of the entire lesson including the timing of each stage. Remember to follow the PPP sequence: from Presentation, through Controlled Practice to Freer Practice (Production).

You need to spell out how you will do the whole lesson - how you will warm up, present the new words (give some examples), then do controlled practice and production. Please go back and review the stages of a lesson plan before revising this.

And don’t forget what you have learned about teaching large multilevel classes. You should show how you are dealing with this challenge in each stage.

Thanks for your work on the module. Please revise task 2 and resubmit.
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: Please I need HELP!!!

Unread post by Susan »

Hi

I have approved your post and will leave one of our members to answer. As moderators, we don't help with assignment questions. You may get more responses if you structure your post and highlight exactly what it is you want people to do for you.

Best of luck

Susan