MOST USEFUL WEBSITES FOR PASSING CELTA

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

absolutely

MOST USEFUL WEBSITES FOR PASSING CELTA

Unread post by absolutely »

Hi all,

There appears to be a bunch of gubbage online Re CELTA and its areas of assessment. For instance, I couldnt find a clear, understandable, and digestible website which talks about tenses (present simple, past simple etc etc).

I've bought a couple of books to help me pass the CELTA, but does anyone know any useful websites? Note: they need to be accurate, up to date, and very very easy to understand and follow.

Thanks guys! :D
doomer

Re: MOST USEFUL WEBSITES FOR PASSING CELTA

Unread post by doomer »

IME, these 4 books are the most commonly cited by CELTA grads:

1. Michael Swan, "Practical English Usage" (grammar reference)
2. Jeremy Harmer, "The Practise of English Language Teaching" (methodology)
3. Jeremy Harmer, "How to Teach English" (methodology)
4. Jim Scrivener, "Learning Teaching" (methodology)

CELTA's recommended pre-reading list includes 1, 2, & 4. They recommend pre-reading 1 grammar + 1 method.

Since CELTA is very intensive, it's probably better to develop as much understanding of grammar beforehand, due to its higher difficulty. Personally, the only grammar (or ELT) book I've ever read or referred to is Swan's "Basic English Usage". BEU is an alphabetized reference, so it's probably less practical than PEU.

Your experience with grammar websites is normal. If any grammar site were very clear & simple, it would get heavy global traffic. Most websites may contain a few gems of crystal clarity, but they'll be buried within a sea of confusion. So, understanding will occur only slowly, gradually, & piecemeal, & with work. Personally, I prefer self-analysis - but that's even harder, slower, & longer.

Try youtube: All english tenses I haven't yet looked at any of the videos, but I'm sure some of them might be partially useful. I think it's better to first look at the basic whole, before diving in-depth to tense groups, and then finally individual tenses. Check shorter videos with minimalist "boarding" first.

As for passing CELTA, perhaps also try youtubing for CELTA course or CELTA techniques. Maybe also look at: the 10 most important things about CELTA. I've never taken the CELTA course, so I wouldn't know more resources.

GL!
Joe
Admin

Re: most useful websites for passing CELTA

Unread post by Joe »

"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven