I have a Bachelors in English but no TEFL!

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

wafflebunny

I have a Bachelors in English but no TEFL!

Unread post by wafflebunny »

I have a Bachelors in English but I do not have a TEFL certificate. A TEFL is just too expensive and even universities that offer TEFLs have so much red tape to get through such as taking classes at the university before going to the on-site TEFL training locations. I would like a TEFL but right now I do not have the money. I am dead broke and I am already working menials jobs just to save up money to go back overseas and teach again. :(

I already have experience teaching English overseas. In 2010-2011, I taught English in South Korea. Well, things have changed since then. The qualifications have become more strict all over and it is just two years later. I would like to go back overseas and teach English in Japan, Shanghai or Hong Kong.

I am hoping that if I find a job overseas, I can maybe earn enough money to take a TEFL course in which ever country I am teaching in.

Where can I teach with the qualifications I have (experience with assistant teaching, Bachelors in English, experience with overseas teaching, etc.)?

Thank you. Money is such a factor these days! :evil:
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: I have a Bachelors in English but no TEFL!

Unread post by Susan »

Hi,

It's true that many TEFL courses are expensive but they do open a lot of doors for you. Of course, you can get a job without a teaching qualification but those jobs won't be the best paid or have the best working conditions. When considering any salary, you'll need to take into account living costs and your desire to save for a TEFL course. You already have one year's teaching experience and that will go in your favour.

Sorry not to be more encouraging, I'm just being realistic.

Susan
MartinHejhal

Re: I have a Bachelors in English but no TEFL!

Unread post by MartinHejhal »

Hello,

You might try to teach in the Czech Republic, where BA in English + experience might be acceptable for some schools. However, I definitely recommend taking a TEFL course soon. There are 3 TEFL/CELTA centres connected to major private language schools in Prague and at least two of them give significant discounts to their teachers taking a TEFL course. You might need to sign a longer term contract to qualify for the discount.

Good luck,

Martin, LiveTEFL/SPEVACEK
Martin @ LiveTEFL/SPEVACEK Languages
https://plus.google.com/u/0/10511339199 ... rel=author