Tefl assignments

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

AndrewEdin

Tefl assignments

Unread post by AndrewEdin »

Sorry to be a pain but I'm at the end of my tether because I'm just no good at submissions (as a whole) and my assignments are grinding me down. I've only just started them. I did the grammar course as suggested by Tefl Scotland and passed near enough all of it with ease. However, my first two assignments were not up to scratch: could anyone out there help me please?
PS. I'm new to this forum thingy and I'm not sure if I've posted correctly or even into the appropriate thread.
Andrew :?
Joe
Admin

Re: Tefl assignments

Unread post by Joe »

Could you give a few more details about your assignments? It's difficult for anyone to comment in thin air. For a start, what were the subjects/questions for your assignments? And in what way were your submissions not up to scratch?
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
HMcIntyre

Unread post by HMcIntyre »

Hello,

I am taking my first online class and I am finding the lack of classroom discussion troublesome. One of my current assignments ask…

"What differences in student approach to English do you anticipate when working with students who speak a Latin or Germanic language versus students who speak Japanese, Chinese or Arabic?"

I know the basic difference would be the roman alphabet. The material in the course talks about phonology and pronunciation differences between speakers of different native languages. It does not go in depth but gives examples such as;

A japanese student speaking in a monotone voice
Mexican students having trouble distinguishing between 'b' and 'v' as in berry and very
Students in Saudi Arabia distinguishing between 'p' and 'b' as in peas and bees
All students struggle with 'th' sound
Stress on the wrong syllable

How does this relate to the student's approach?
Any insight would be appreciated
Susan
Top Contributor

Unread post by Susan »

Have you looked at Learner English, I think the author is Michael Swan, could be wrong. It's an excellent resource for this type of thing.