Checkpoint 2

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

gerbenlaning

Checkpoint 2

Unread post by gerbenlaning »

Please help me out. This is my final change. Check my answer below.

How would you teach the form ‘(be) going to + infinitive’ used for future plans to a pre-intermediate class?

Outline your lesson plan using the following headings as a guideline.

Warmer / Lead in
Presentation (in a suitable context) and drilling
Controlled practice activity
Production (a personalised communicative activity)

Answer:

To illustrate the form, I’ll write this down on my board:

(be) going to + verb

- I am going to study
- You are going to study
- He is going to study
- She is going to study
- We are going to study
- They are going to study

Warmer / Lead in
I’ll were my Hawaii-blouse today. I’d tell the students that I’ve booked my vacation. Where to? (Pointing at my blouse). They’ll guess Hawaii. ‘ Yes, I’m going to Hawaii.’ I’ll tell the students about my future plans, like:
- I’m going to dance (I’ll show the students a picture of dancing)
- I’m going to swim (I’ll show the students a picture of swimming)
I’ll ask the students, what else I’m going to do. I show them pictures and they have to use the ‘going to + verb for future plans’.
- I’m going to have diner
- I’m going to sunbathe
- I’m going to rent a car
- I’m going to buy souvenirs.

Presentation and drilling
I’ll turn to the board and ask them: ‘we are going to study. Are we studying now, or in the future? (concept question). Answer: In the future. I’ll turn to the board and drill the new form. I’ll point to ‘I am going to study’ and read it out loud. The students will repeat me chorally, while I’m reading the whole numeration. I’ll tell the students that I’m going to teach them a new form today. I’ll point to the board and tell them: ‘going to + verb’ for future plans.

As a drilling-activity, we’re going to play ‘Future holiday Pictionary’. The students are divided into two teams. One by one I’ll let them come to the board. I’ll show the first student a card with ‘I’m going to swim’ on it. He’ll draw on the board, what he’s going to do. His team members may guess, but may only use the proper form: ‘ He is going to swim.’ I’ll use the familiar Pictionary rules for the game.

Controlled practice activity
I’ll ask the student what they are going to do on their holidays. One by one they answer, like:
- I’m going to visit friends (The other students repeat: She’s going to visit friends).
The students get a chance to form meaningful sentences using 'going to + verb'.
I’ll ask them if they can think of future-holiday-plans they are doing together with someone, like:
- My girlfriend and me are going to ride an elephant (The other students repeat: They’re going to ride an elephant).

Production
I’ll use an interview task for the production stage. At first I’ll put them into pairs and let them interview each other. The subject is future-holiday again. To make it more exiting, money is no restriction now. I’ll tell them: ‘You’ve just won the lottery, so make future plans for your dream-vacation.’ They’ll ask each other about their plans. I’ll listen carefully and help the students when needed. When the exercise is done, I’ll discuses some future plans classical and correct mistakes.

All students will get homework. A cap fill exercise, with sentences like:
1) Have you got any plans for the weekend? - Well, we………………. (see) a film on Sunday night.
2) I'll get the sugar from the cupboard! - Watch out! You…………… (hit) your head on the door.
3) Do you want to go to the park this afternoon? - I can't – I……………… (visit) my grandparents
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Checkpoint 2

Unread post by Alex Case »

I don't understand the topic and context of your question. Have you left an earlier post on the same topic?
Remmie

Unread post by Remmie »

Hello gerbenlaning

Did you pass with this attempt? looks like a good lesson plan to me.
I found this exam quite hard as well.

Cheers,
Remco.
featherhead

Unread post by featherhead »

Hi Gus I am having the same issue with Checkpoint 2 I am on my last attempt and I'm worried I'll get it wrong the next attempt. gerbenlaning was your above example correct ? It looks pretty good. Any help would be great
featherhead

Hi Guys I am having the same issue with Checkpoint 2 I am on my last attempt and I'm worried I'll get it wrong the next attempt. gerbenlaning was your above example correct ? It looks pretty good. Any help would be great
featherhead

Hello gerbenlaning,
I have been having the same problem on my checkpoint 2 I'm just not grasping it, and I'm on my last attempt. I really want to pass and begin teaching soon just worried now, did your example pass? Any advice would be great
Thanks
featherhead