Teaching and traveling as a couple

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

LauraD

Teaching and traveling as a couple

Unread post by LauraD »

Hey guys, a few quick question...

I will be graduating soon with a BS in Education. My boyfriend does not have a degree. We both want to take a TEFL course in Asia this summer and use their job placement service to help us secure a job in the area (maybe China or S.Korea). I know my job outlook is great, but I'm worried about his. We really want to teach in the same city/school, but I'm worried he will be unable to get a job teaching English with only the TEFL certification. I've heard mixed things so far about this, but mainly that he should apply to the schools anyway because the hiring process varies from school to school and will accept non-degree holders. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: Teaching and traveling as a couple

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

Holding a degree is often a requirement of the countries and their visa regulations and not so much a requirement of the institute that hires you. Your boyfriend will need to hold a degree if he wants to obtain your work visa and work legally. This is especially true in Asian countries. However there are ways aorund it and there are places where you can still find work without holding a degree.

Your best bet is to check with your course provider. Since they offer job placement they should be able to advise you on this.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

A very large number of non government schools in Asia are operated by Catholic orders, or diocesan education authorities. Catholic precepts are far more strictly upheld in Asia than in Western countries and some will not entertain the employment of non-married couples. Don't be afraid to ask the administrator if this is a particular issue in his/her school. Some of the more tolerant will only refuse to provide the school's own free accommodation.
In Buddhist countries, even today, it is still not socially correct to be living together - particularly among the professional classes and teachers.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

TEFL International already have enough serious reputation problems to contend with. Obvious spam like this will only make matters worse.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.